2023-05-24

Blue and White Chinese Ceramics

 You may ask: Why Chinese ceramics? Well, two things have led me to this subject:

  • When I was a kid my mother had a friend who painted on porcelain, mostly flowers, butterflies and birds. I still have got some little vases and plates with her paintings on them. I remember watching her painting, being fascinated by her absolutely calm hand. I knew and still know that I could never do such a thing.
  • I love history and I am very interested in the history of China. This does not only mean the social and political history but also the cultural and art history of this country, and here's where ceramics come in.

Of course I asked Chatgpt and was told that blue and white porcelain is one of the most famous types of Chinese ceramics. Knowing that I wanted to create such ceramics, focussing on vases and teapots (I love flowers, and I definitely love tea!). I wanted the vase and the teapot rendered in the same style. That's where Chatgpt came in for the second time. 

Here is the prompt for the vase:
Generate an image of an old Chinese teapot, hand-painted in cobalt blue with white and gold accents. The teapot should feature traditional motifs like dragons, phoenixes, lotus flowers, and intricate geometric patterns. It should appear aged with subtle cracks and signs of wear. The lighting should be soft, highlighting the vase's details. The background should be a neutral color. Aim for elegance and cultural heritage

This vase was created with the use of Nightcafe studio. As Nightcafe is limited in the number of words in the prompt, I had to shorten the prompt a bit, but it worked nevertheless.

Now I wanted to create a teapot in the same style. So I used the same prompt and replaced "vase" with "teapot". Actually I tried "plate" as well and got some nice results, but due to trying not to have a too long blogpost I will leave that out.

And here is the teapot:


The teapost was created with the use of Dreamlike AI, and as you can see, it is a bit more playful than the vase and obviously one would never dare to use it to actually brew tea in it. I would be afraid of breaking the handle!

No comments:

Post a Comment