2023-05-12

Animal Wood Cut Prints

For me creating images with AI Art Generators is having fun but also learning about Art history and the various mediums applied in art throughout the centuries. I know quite a bit about art history in relation to painting, but not much about woodcut or linocut art.

The first thing I did was to ask Chatpgt for some information on wood cut printing. And it told me the following:

"Woodcut printing is a type of relief printing that involves carving an image onto a block of wood, applying ink to the surface, and then pressing the block onto paper or other materials. It is one of the oldest forms of printing and has been used in various parts of the world for thousands of years. 

In Europe, woodcut printing emerged as a popular medium for book illustrations during the 15th century."

Knowing all that I wanted to find out whether and how AI Art Generators would be able to create images looking like wood cut prints. I tried two of them:




1. Dreamlike AI
This dog woodcut print was created with Dreamlike AI. I like the way the fur and the background is rendered.


2. Blue Willow AI
This raven woodcut print was generated using Blue Willow. There is quite a difference in the style between the two images: Whereas the image above is really looking "old", the image on the right in my opinion looks rather modern. I used the same prompt; however dogs might have been quite often subjects for wood prints in the time of Albrecht Dürer, whereas ravens were not so much depicted on wood cuts at Dürer's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment